Call for Papers
The Heroic Age welcomes and encourages papers on topics unrelated to themed issues at any time. The journal publishes the following types of materials:
- Feature Articles
- Editions and Translations
- History by Biography
- Book Reviews
- Film and Television Reviews
Editions and Translations
The Heroic Age invites submissions of new editions and translations of early medieval texts related to Northen Europe. Both complete works and fragments of longer works will be considered for publication. The original may be in either an early medieval vernacular or Latin or Greek. Translations and editions should not exceed 7000 words, although longer texts may be considered. Please consult the Author's Instructions for general submission guidelines. Preference will be given to texts that do not exist in a modern edition or translation. Please indicate if the text is previously unedited or untranslated.
Issue 17: Carolingian Border-Lands
This issue seeks to explore the lands and peoples surrounding the Carolingian kingdom(s) and the relationship between empire and "periphery". Possible topics might include, but not be limited to: the Spanish March, Carolingians and England and Ireland, the Scandinavian countries, Carolingian "foreign policy" and trade, cross-border/cultural/linguistic influences, Italy, Byzantine Empire and the Carolingians, Saxons, Avars and Slavs just to name a few. The focus is on the regions surrounding the Carolingians and possibly Carolingian relationships with those borderlands whether political, religious, or cultural.
Articles should be 7000 words including bibliography and endnotes, and conform to The Heroic Age's in-house style. Instructions may be found under Submission Instructions. All submissions will be reviewed by two readers according to a double-blind policy. All submissions should be sent to Larry Swain.
Issue 18: Occitan Poetry
We would like to invite submissions for the special issue of HA on Occitan poetry, edited by Anna Klosowska (Miami U. of OH). We are interested in submissions including but not limited to the following topics and approaches:
- editions or translations of a short text or texts or a portion of a longer text (especially lesser known texts)
- transnational and postcolonial approaches, Jewish, Arabic, Mediterranean, Near Eastern, and cultural studies
- feminism, queer theory, Marxism, psychoanalysis, history of emotions, history of subjectivity, critical animal studies
- philology, musicology, poetics, manuscript study, material history and history of ideas, medievalism
Submissions should be 3000 words including bibliography and endnotes, and conform to The Heroic Age's in-house style. Instructions may be found under Submission Instructions. All submissions will be reviewed by two readers according to a double-blind policy. All submissions should be sent to Anna Klosowska, Special Issue Editor
Future issues and sections currently planned for The Heroic Age include but are not limited to:
- Issue 19: Charlemagne
- Issue 20: Codicology and Paleography
- Issue 21: Early Medieval Medicine and Disease
- Issue 22: The Rise, Transformation, and Fall of the Normans and Norman Culture